Monday, August 3, 2009

modern living

My name is Tallulah, and I'm a laptop addict.

Between the working, playing on the internet, listening to music and, yes, even solitaire, I am on my computer a lot. And my computer gets hot. And then my legs get hot. I don't like it, and it can't be good for my circulation (I will probably get spider veins on my upper thighs by 30).

I've been meaning to make a lap desk for a while, you know, a hard surface attached to a cushion, like the things kids take on car trips. Like everything else I've intended to make, I over-complicated the idea in my head and made excuses about not having the right materials to whip it together.

Today, I took advantage of the holiday Monday (and the last full-day of being at home until the end of the month) and made this:


It took me about half an hour, and I am embarrassed that it took me so long to get to it. I repurposed a sweater-jacket I found at value village (I loved the fabric, but wasn't so into the XXL + shoulder pads business) and tore up my old pillow to make the cushion part, which I staple-gunned (best impulse purchase ever, maybe?) to a piece of scrap wood I got from Jay. Then I cut (well, I got Jay to do this part) a little table top of really thin mdf left over from his band days and used the tiny finishing nails that come with the staple gun (seriously, it is the best) to secure it to the top.

I think it has also improved the ergonomic situation of my laptop-loving, couch potato lifestyle, so even more win!

No comments: